Wednesday, September 10, 2008

East (Euopean Folk Punk...) Meets West



I have seen a lot of shows and have not posted anything since Summerbirds. My bad. I'm going to give the cliff notes version, which is probably better anyway! The Walkmen came back to their stomping grounds on 9/06 and played an early show at the 9:30. They were pretty damn good, I have to say. And the highlight of the whole show were the 3 70+ year old rockers who had a blast in the front, center during the whole show. Man! I was there early and saw an old dude leaning on an amp on the stage and did a double take. This was followed by the god awful smell of Chantilly Lace...and giddy laughter from two white haired ladies who were all smiles. "This is great! Now all we have to do is get in the center," One of them yelled while pulling her friend and motioning at the old man. They all pushed their way to center stage and man...I didn't stop grinning the entire night. They danced through the whole show and sure as shit stayed in the front. I love it!

Aside from slugging down Stella all night and most of the band members having backup drinks (a sign of greatness), the piano player/guitar player Paul Maroon brought his son onstage at the end of the show and let him watch/play some stick knocker instrument. He was a teeny lad, maybe 3ish with the rocker long hair and a kickass hat and big ol' headphones to protect his ears. Awe.

The show opened with this random (cool) band called Golem. They were all in red and entertained me fully. Who doesn't like wailing Yiddish followed everyonce inawhile with an english curse I understand? That and the accordian make for a fun combo...they call themselves a "Eastern European Folk-Punk Band."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter